Marital Status: Unmarried
Age: 29 Years
Hometown: New Delhi
|Known As||Acid Attack Survivor (2005)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 163 cm
in meters– 1.63 m
in feet inches– 5’ 4”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||TV (Anchor): Udaan (2014)|
|Date of Birth||1 June 1990 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||29 Years|
|Birthplace||New Delhi, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|School||Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya|
|Educational Qualification||10th Pass|
|Relationships & More|
Daughter– Pihu Agarwal
|Parents||Father– Name Not Known (Domestic Cook)
Mother– Name Not Known (Homemaker)
|Siblings||Brother– Rahul Agarwal
Some Lesser Known Facts About Laxmi Agarwal
- She was born into a middle-class family in New Delhi.
- At the age of 15, Laxmi survived an awful acid attack by a 32-year-old man, Gudda a.k.a Nahim Khan, and his 2 other friends; as she had rejected Gudda’s marriage proposal.
- In 2006, she had filed a PIL in which she pleaded for a total ban on the sale of acid, citing the expanding number of incidents of acid attacks on women.
- After she recovered from the attack, she did not put herself in isolation and instead she started campaigning for ‘Stop Acid Attacks’ and worked as a campaign coordinator.
- Gradually, her work, made her the voice of all the acid attack survivors across the world.
- She introduced her own campaign ‘Stop Sale Acid.’ Because of her dedicated work, she was awarded many times in India.
- In 2013, the Supreme Court regulated a new set of rules prevailing the sale of acid in India in which a person below the age of 18 could not purchase acids and an identity card should be produced by the customer before purchasing an acid.
- During the ‘Stop Sale Acid’ campaign, Laxmi and other survivors of acid attacks stood together and started a hunger strike for the rehabilitation of such survivors and also to achieve an immediate legal justice.
- In 2014, she started hosting a television show, Udaan, that aired on News Express.
- In 2014, she met Alok Dixit and they fell for each other instantly. The couple decided to challenge the taboos of Indian society by not getting married and living in a live-in relationship.
- According to Laxmi, the main reason for not getting married was that in Indian marriages, the bride is expected to be very beautiful. She says that people would judge Laxmi on her appearance on her wedding day so they decided not to get married ever.
- She, along with her partner Alok, founded an NGO, Chhanv Foundation. The couple together has a daughter, Pihu. However, later the couple parted ways after the birth of their daughter.
- Laxmi, whose face and other body parts got totally disfigured after the acid attack, stood tall as an example of sheer courage and became the face of the brand, ‘Viva n Diva campaign.’
- In 2014, she was honored with the International Women of Courage Award presented by the First Lady, Michelle Obama.
- In 2016, she walked the ramp at the London Fashion Week.
- In 2018, Laxmi disclosed that she had been facing a great difficulty in finding a job which could fulfill the basic needs of her life. During an interview, Laxmi revealed that although she did not study after her class 10, she was an experienced beautician. However, her disfigured face becomes a hurdle for her in finding jobs.
- Here’s an interesting video about Laxmi Agarwal’s biography: