Some Lesser Known Facts About Waris Pathan
- His father, Yusuf Pathan was the first NDPS sessions court judge in Mumbai.
- Waris Pathan has had a successful law career before joining politics in 2014. He has fought several high profile cases including Mumbai Blasts 1993 case (defence lawyer), Bollywood actor Salman Khan’s “hit-and-run” case (defence lawyer), and many more.
- He accidentally entered politics in 2014, just a few days prior to the Mumbai Legislative Assembly elections, when AIMIM party members proposed him to contest the upcoming MLA election for Byculla constituency on the ticket of AIMIM; he accepted the proposal and filed his nomination, just a day before the nomination deadline.
- By Campaigning for just 12 days before Byculla assembly polls, Waris Pathan was successful in beating congress’ Madhu Chavan, the then incumbent MLA from Byculla, by 20023 votes.
- Waris Pathan is friends with a number of Bollywood actors.
Today coffee with my Friend Saif ali khan pic.twitter.com/1ska7wyfAN
— Waris Pathan (@warispathan) July 21, 2018
- Waris Pathan and his wife Gazana Pathan were strongly against the introduction of the Tripple Talaq Bill.
I proudly see my wife Gazala Pathan as part of the fuss against interruption in Islamic Laws on streets of Mumbai, We have been working together from a week. when it comes to Islamic law we stand together irrespective of Gender, Ideology, Color, Faith & Creed. Thnk u Mumbai. https://t.co/ml0TzZ2dGK
— Waris Pathan (@warispathan) March 31, 2018
- In August 2019, Waris Pathan was detained by the Mumbai police for allegedly offering prayers for the people of Kashmir at a mosque in Madanpura, Byculla.
- On 22 February 2020, a sedition case was filed against the former MLA, following his “15 crore Muslim can dominate 100 crore Hindus” remark, while addressing an Anti-CAA rally in Kalaburagi, Karnataka.